Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday, June 29 - It's the first day of feeling a bit of a "calm" in the air. No, maybe "calm" isn't the best word because little feet are always running, hands are into things, mouths are eating (the boy can consume some fruit) and Scott is constantly saying, "stoetta"(what's that)? EVERY moment is a teaching moment and I am so, so grateful that I can look back on this day and see that there were more POSITIVE teaching moments than negative ones (stop sticking your finger in the outlet - it's dangerous! Do not pinch Brady! Stay out of Brady's room. Quit hitting Brady's door....)
Cooper and Scott have done more things together today (looking at books, riding bikes, sliding down massive pile of rocks at the new house, catching fireflies, ect.) than they have since Scott arrived. John and I sat and watched them running around and laughing together outside this evening (a Kodak moment without a camera nearby) which helps us begin to feel like we have done the right thing and a also a good thing for Cooper. Cooper said yesterday, "Mom, we need some girl time." Yes, we do! Cooper is such a funny little thing and the stress of all this on her seems to have sucked some of her silly side away. Scott, Cooper and I were at the pool this weekend and I looked across the water and saw her sitting in the water right up next to our (soon to be) neighbors. She doesn't even know their names yet! Cooper thrives on attention from adults and older kids. It's helpful that when mom and dad aren't able to give her one on one, that others can.
Language: Amazing. 5 word complete sentence today. Still says "hochess" for "want" but is spitting out English for most everything. ie. toothbrush/ toothpaste/ swimming/ brush/ buckle up/ I'm hungry, thirsty, tired, banana, apple, pickle, apple juice, milk. He calls Cooper "Coopers King" and usually uses both names.
Bedtime: no problem. Both in same room and after books and prayers no one utters a word. Scott usually wakes first in the morning and climbs up with me in the big chair while I'm having my quiet time.
Praise: Tantrums/meltdowns were minimal today. He is finally getting it that family life with the King's can be a lot of fun if you learn to respect mom and dad (and others). He is handling, "No, not right now," with just a frown (usually) and much less anger. I guess that's why I feel a calm for the first time today. I'm as tired as I can be but with all the progress we've made so far, I can see that our persistence, ect. with him is working.
Prayer request: Not a lot of improvement with Scott and Brady having a deep brotherly love and appreciation for one another - ha! Scott goes around mimicking Brady as he is getting irritated with Scott. I know it's what most little brothers do but Brady can (and will) be and awesome brother for this little fella once we can get past whatever issues (jealousy, ect.) are taking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment