Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saturday, June 26 - Random things I'm learning along the way . . . .
1. When a tantrum arises - I now, stop, turn around, and walk away (Dr. Leman's advice in the book I'm reading). Scott's mini-meltdowns are shortened (and probably not as loud since I'm in another room) when I'm not contributing my own "stop that" to his. At least I can go get something more productive done while he's letting me know he wants his own way. Truly, they are getting better and though I've been around plenty of full fledged American kids who do it, I'd rather see an end to them in my house. At least we don't feel like we're being "cussed out" in Russian anymore.
2. When my "4 weeks today living in America" son puts a black leather bracelet with a skull and cross bones from the craft show we attended in his pocket, without anyone knowing, and presents it to me later that day standing in my kitchen, I load the car up with kids and drive back across town and make him hand it to the man at the craft show and say he's sorry. I hope, hope, hope that this "teaching moment' pays off. I have no idea what kind of behavior he got by with for the past 5 years, yet know it's never to late to learn a better way of doing things.
3. I'm learning that I am more motivated now than I was 18 years ago (when Kelly was 5 years old) to TRAIN my younger kids to do the things that they are capable of (picking up their toys, making their bed, putting away their dirty clothes, hanging up their bath towel...) rather than do it myself. What was I thinking? 18 years ago, I had so much energy that it was just as easy to run around and do all those things for them while they were playing or sleeping rather than hassle with trying to teach them how to do it themselves. Now I look down at a pair of their dirty underwear and think, "Gee that's a long way down there to the floor. What if I can't get back up?" I'm praying that this summer of non stop "training" (and however long after it takes) will be an investment for all of us. And that the pay off will be John and I having more time to do something we enjoy doing.
4. I was reminded again tonight, after attending our Greenwood Miracle Baseball banquet (a league for kids ages 4-19 with mental and physical disabilities) that there are many, many families who live with all kinds of challenges. I am so grateful that this little boy that God has given to our family has been blessed with a healthy brain and body and that his potential in this life is limitless. He just needs a lot of love and guidance and consistency and parents who will not lose site of what he can be. Certainly, God never does.

The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you. A great quote that came in an e-mail from a friend yesterday. So true.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you yesterday - please know we are praying for all of you! My kids were so funny after we left you - they had a million questions! Once things settle out with the baby, I would love to let them all play. :) Praying for a peaceful week for all of you...
    Alice

    ReplyDelete